Hon. Nolan B. Dawkins (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Personal injury, medical malpractice; family law including child/spousal support, custody/visitation, and equitable distribution; contracts, business dissolution, civil rights, condemnation, consumer, defamation, disability, financial, local government, and trusts & estates.
• Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
• Judge, 18th Judicial Circuit Court of Virginia, Alexandria, 2008–2020.
• Judge, City of Alexandria Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, 1994-2008. Chief Judge, 2004-2008.
• Private Practice of Law, Alexandria, 1981-1994
• Alexandria Assistant City Attorney, Prosecutor and Tax Litigation, 1977-1981.
• Staff Attorney, Legal Services Corporation, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1974-1977.
• 1st Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 1970-1971.
• Member, Judicial Section, Virginia State Bar; National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges; Old Dominion Bar Association; Alexandria Bar Association; Association of District Court Judges of Virginia.
• Speaker, CASA and the Court; National Bar Association Annual Conference; American Bar Association Conference on Children & the Law.
• Member, Virginia Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Court Rules.
• Member, Alexandria Community Justice Board.
• Member, Board of Governors, Alexandria Bar Foundation.
• Former Member, Virginia State Bar Faculty on Professionalism.
• Former Member: Faculty, Child Abuse & Neglect Institute; National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges Child Visitation Symposium; Family Drug Initiative, National Drug Court Institute Bureau of Justice Assistance, US Department of Justice.
• Recipient, Central State University Alumni Achievement Award, 2008.
• Recipient, National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice Jonathan Jasper Wright Award, 2007.
• Recipient, Old Dominion Bar Association Oliver W. Hill/Samuel Tucker Lifetime Achievement Award, 2006.
• Recipient, National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice, Northern Virginia Chapter, Outstanding Leadership in Criminal Justice Award, 2005.
• Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
• Central State University, B.A.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information