Hon. William T. Newman, Jr. (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Medical malpractice, personal injury, premises liability, products liability, business dissolution, civil rights, condemnation, construction, consumer, contracts, defamation, disability, employment, environmental, local government, professional liability, real property, sports & entertainment, trusts & estates, and family law including child/spousal support, custody/visitation, and equitable distribution.
- Chief Judge, 17th Judicial Circuit, Arlington, VA, 2003-2023; Judge 1993-2003.
- Civil Litigator in Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia, 1980-1993.
- Former Commissioner in Chancery, Arlington County Circuit Court.
- Former Member, Virginia Medical Malpractice Review Panel.
- Former Trademark Attorney, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office.
- Recipient, Harry L. Carrico Outstanding Service Award, 2019.
- Recipient, Distinguished Alumni Award, The Catholic University Columbus School of Law, 2017.
- Recipient, William L. Winston Award, Arlington County Bar Foundation, 2013.
- Recipient, NAACP Community Service Award.
- Recipient, Superior Achievement Award, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Recipient, Urban League Rising Star Award.
- Voted “Best of the Bench,” Washingtonian Magazine.
- Past Vice-President and Past Executive, Arlington County Bar Association.
- Council Member, Old Dominion Bar Association.
- Founder and Past President, Northern Virginia Black Attorneys Association.
- Former Member and Chair, Arlington County Board of Supervisors.
- Former Member, Northern Virginia Planning District Commission.
- Former Member, Arlington County Planning Commission.
- Former Chair, Public Safety Committee for Washington Council of Governments.
- Member, Board of Visitors, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law.
- Former Faculty, Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course.
- Founder and President Emeritus, Arlington Community Foundation.
- Former Member, Advisory Council of the Northern Virginian Urban League.
- Former Member, National Capital Area YMCA Trustee’s Council.
- Founder, Arlington County Mentoring Program.
- The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D.
- Ohio University, B.F.A.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information