Hon. Cynthia D. Kinser (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Medical malpractice, personal injury, premises liability, products liability, civil rights, condemnation, consumer, contracts, defamation, disability, governmental, insurance coverage, professional liability, real property, and trust & estates.
- Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Virginia, 2011-2014. Served as Virginia’s first female Chief Justice.
- Justice, Supreme Court of Virginia, 1997-2011.
- Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, 1990-1997.
- Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia, 1984-1990.
- Commonwealth’s Attorney, Lee County, Virginia, 1980-1984. Elected as Lee County’s first female Commonwealth’s Attorney.
- Private Practice: Of Counsel, Kinser Law PLC, Pennington Gap, 2018-present;Senior Counsel, Gentry Locke, Roanoke, 2015-2018; Sole Practitioner, Cynthia D.Kinser Law Office, Pennington Gap, 1978-1980 and 1984-1990; Associate, H.Ronnie Montgomery Law Office, Jonesville, 1978-1979.
- Law Clerk to Judge Glen M. Williams, U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, 1977-1978.
- Recipient, Gerald L. Baliles Distinguished Service Award, Virginia Bar Association, 2015.
- Recipient, Harry L. Carrico Outstanding Career Service Award, Judicial Council of Virginia, 2014.
- Recipient, Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medal in Law, 2011.
- Member, Board of Governors, Virginia Bar Association.
- Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation.
- Past President, Lee County Bar Association.
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, Appalachian School of Law.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
University of Tennessee, B.A., with highest honors.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information