Hon. Joel C. Cunningham (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Personal injury, medical malpractice, domestic relations, condemnation, real estate, construction, contracts, corporate disputes, employment, professional liability, defamation, environmental issues, government issues, and trusts & estates.
• Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
• Judge, Circuit Court of the 10th Judicial Circuit of Virginia, 2009-2016.
• Judge, General District Court for the 10th Judicial District of Virginia, 1997-2009.
• Highway Condemnation Counsel for the Virginia Department of Transportation, 1987-1997.
• Private practice of law, Halifax County, 1987-1997.
• Former Senior and Managing Attorney, Virginia Legal Aid Society.
• Former Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, Halifax County.
• Former Counsel, General Electric Company, Lynchburg.
• Former Assistant Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia.
• President and Chairman of the Board, Halifax Regional Hospital.
• Vice Rector and Member of the Board of Visitors, Virginia State University.
• President, Mary M. Bethune Scholarship Foundation.
• Member, Board of Advisors, Duke University Eye Center.
• Recipient, Community Service and Scales of Justice Award.
• Member, Access to Justice Commission.
• Recipient, First Annual Joel C. Cunningham, Sr. Award. Award honors a lawyer in the 10th Judicial Circuit who performs exemplary work and leadership in providing access to justice for the poor.
• Former Member, Commission on Professionalism, Virginia Bar Association.
• Faculty Member, Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course, Virginia State Bar.
• University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
• Virginia State University, B.S.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information