Grayson P. Hanes, Esq.
Areas of Experience
General litigation with focus on land use issues, condemnation, eminent domain, real estate, zoning, local government, administrative law, corporate, contracts, professional malpractice, business dissolution, consumer, environmental, financial and real property.
- Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Senior Partner, Reed Smith LLP, Falls Church.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Former Chair, Litigation Section Board of Governors, Virginia State Bar.
- Former Town Attorney, Town of Herndon.
- Former Substitute Judge, Town of Herndon Municipal Court.
- Former Attorney, Fairfax City School Board.
- Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation.
- Member of the Faculty, National Business Institute Eminent Domain Seminar, 2014.
- Member, Committee to Study the Code of Professional Responsibility, Virginia State Bar.
- Member, Board of Directors: Herndon Community Television and the Herndon Chamber of Commerce.
- Member, Board of Directors, Millennium Bankshares Corp and Millennium Bank, N.A.
- Chairman of the Board, Herndon Visitor’s Center; Member, Board of Directors, Greater Dulles Chamber of Commerce.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Member, Supreme Court Historical Society.
- Former Chair, 10th District Grievance Committee, Virginia State Bar.
- Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- Member, George Mason Inn of Court.
- Former 19th Circuit Representative, Virginia State Bar Council.
- Awarded the “Tradition of Excellence Award” by the Virginia State Bar, General Practice Section, 2018.
- Member of the Inaugural Class of the Virginia Lawyers Weekly “Lawyers Hall of Fame,” 2018.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for more than 25 years, including 2013. Named one of America’s leading attorneys by The Best Lawyers in America in 2009 and 2012.
- Selected as “Legal Elite” for Alternative Dispute Resolution and Civil Litigation in Virginia Business. Listed as a Super Lawyer in Washington, DC and Virginia Super Lawyers.
- Author, “On Vested Rights to Land Use and Development,” Washington and Lee Law Review, 1989; and “Litigating a Zoning Case,” Virginia Bar News, 1987.
- George Washington University School of Law, J.D.
- University of the South, B.A.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information