Hon. Winship C. Tower (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Family Law matters including divorce, separation, equitable distribution, business, retirement and real estate valuation and division, business dissolution, property tracing, alimony, child support, custody, visitation, parenting plans, prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements, tax planning.
• Judge, City of Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, 2000-2016. Chief Judge, 2008-2010.
• Former Partner and Past Chair of Family Law Practice Group, Kaufman & Canoles, P.C.
• Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
• Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
• Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation.
• Member, The Boyd-Graves Conference.
• Former Member, I’Anson-Hoffman Inn of Court.
• Past Chair, Board of Governors, Family Law Section; Former Member, Board of Governors, Education of Lawyers Section and General Practice Section, Virginia State Bar.
• Past Chair, Domestic Relations Section; Member, Commission on the Needs of Children; Former Member, Commission on Professionalism, Virginia Bar Association.
• Appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve on Advisory Committee on the Establishment of Family Law Courts in Virginia, 2005.
• Appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve on the Futures Commission on Virginia Courts in the 21st Century, 2005.
• Former Member, Executive Committee, Virginia Council of Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court Judges, and Former Member, Law Revision Committee of the Judicial Conference of Virginia for District Courts.
• Former Member, Liaison Committee for Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts, Virginia Beach Bar Association.
• Former Co-Lead Judge, Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative, Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.
• Former Co-Lead Judge, Court Improvement Project, Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.
• Frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education and Judicial Education Programs on family law issues.
• Recipient, Women of Distinction Award, YMCA of South Hampton Roads, 2000.
• Named among “Influential Women of Virginia” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2011.
• University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
• Hollins University, B.A., with Honors.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information