Hon. Winship C. Tower (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Disputes involving family and business matters; equitable distribution; business, retirement, deferred compensation, stock options and real estate valuations, divisions and dissolution; property tracing; tax issues; income analysis; alimony; child support, custody, visitation and parenting plans; pre and post nuptial agreements; elder law issues and legal malpractice.
• Judge, City of Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, 2000-2016. Chief Judge, 2008-2010.
• Former Partner and Past Chair of Family Law Practice Group, Kaufman & Canoles, P.C.
• Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
• Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
• Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation.
• Member, The Boyd-Graves Conference.
• Former Member, I’Anson-Hoffman Inn of Court.
• Past Chair, Board of Governors, Family Law Section; Former Member, Board of Governors, Education of Lawyers Section and General Practice Section, Virginia State Bar.
• Past Chair, Domestic Relations Section; Member, Commission on the Needs of Children; Former Member, Commission on Professionalism, Virginia Bar Association.
• Appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve on Advisory Committee on the Establishment of Family Law Courts in Virginia, 2005.
• Appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve on the Futures Commission on Virginia Courts in the 21st Century, 2005.
• Former Member, Executive Committee, Virginia Council of Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court Judges, and Former Member, Law Revision Committee of the Judicial Conference of Virginia for District Courts.
• Former Member, Liaison Committee for Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts, Virginia Beach Bar Association.
• Former Co-Lead Judge, Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative, Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.
• Former Co-Lead Judge, Court Improvement Project, Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.
• Frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education and Judicial Education Programs on family law issues and complex financial issues in mediation.
• Recipient, Women of Distinction Award, YMCA of South Hampton Roads, 2000.
• Named among “Influential Women of Virginia” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2011.
• University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
• Hollins University, B.A., with Honors.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information