James W. Barkley, Esq.
Areas of Experience
Construction, insurance coverage, commercial, professional liability, personal injury, medical malpractice, premises liability, products liability, business dissolution, contracts, defamation, disability, employment, financial, governmental, real property, and trusts & estates.
• Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
• Founding Partner, Morin & Barkley LLP, Charlottesville, VA.
• Past President, Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association.
• Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2008-2021.
• Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers, Construction Law, 2008-2021.
• Selected as Legal Elite in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Virginia Business, 2017-2020.
• Past Member of the Board of Governors, Construction Law and Public Contracts Section, Virginia State Bar.
• Past Member, Legal Affairs Committee, Associated General Contractors of Virginia.
• George Washington University, J.D.
• University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, B.A.
Presentations and Publications
- “Ethical and Effective Advocacy in Mediation,” presented online by Virginia CLE (September 30, 2020; October 21, 2020; December 1, 2020).
- “Ethical and Effective Advocacy in Mediation,” presented online by the Roanoke Bar Association (October 22, 2020).
- “Ethical and Effective Advocacy in Mediation,” presented online by the Richmond Bar Association (September 15, 2020).
- Guest Lecturer, Construction Law Seminar, University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia (April 12, 2016; March 28, 2017; February 5, 2018; March 4, 2019; April 20, 2020)
- “Getting the Most out of Mediation: Preparation, Persuasion, and Patience,” presented at the 40th Annual Construction Law and Public Contract Law Seminar, Charlottesville, Virginia (November 2019)
- “Advocacy in Mediation: The New Trial,” The Virginia Trial Lawyers’ Seminar, Roanoke and Reston, Virginia (October 2019)
- “Risk Transfer in Constructions Contracts,” presented to the 37th Annual Construction and Public Contracts Law Seminar, Charlottesville, Virginia (November 2016)
- Moderator, “Avoiding Trench E-Warfare: Are There Ways to Make Electronic Discovery Effective and Affordable,” panel discussion presented at the 6th Annual Advanced Business Litigation Institute, Charlottesville, Virginia (June 21, 2014)
- “Insurance Coverage for Construction Projects,” presented to the Office of Attorney General, Education Section Retreat, Blacksburg, Virginia (October 2014)
- “Risk Management for Contractors: Construction Law Basics,” Boar’s Head Inn, Charlottesville, Virginia (February 22, 2013)
- Moderator, “In-House Roundtable: Managing Construction Disputes, Containing Costs and Formulating Litigation Strategies,” panel discussion presented at the National Construction Litigation Conference, Orlando, Florida (February 29, 2012)
- Co-author, “Insurance Coverage for Owners, General Contractors, Subcontractors, Architects and Engineers,” Virginia Construction Law Deskbook, Chapter 20 (2019, 2015, 2008)
- Co-author, “Commercial General Liability Insurance,” Virginia Insurance Law, Chapter 16 (2015, 2002)
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information