Hon. Joanne F. Alper (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Personal injury, medical malpractice, premises liability, product liability, professional liability, business dissolution, civil rights, construction, contracts and general commercial disputes, defamation, employment, financial, government, insurance coverage, real property, trust & estates, and family law including child & spousal support, custody & visitation, and equitable distribution.
- Retired Judge, 17th Judicial Circuit Court, Arlington.
- Former Judge and Chief Judge, Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court, 17th Judicial District, Arlington.
- Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Former Partner, Associate and Law Clerk, Cohen, Gettings, Alper & Dunham.
- Past President, Arlington County Bar Association.
- Former Chair and current Board Member, Arlington County Bar Foundation.
- Former Member of the Steering Committee and former Chair of the Family Court Committee, Boyd-Graves Conference.
- Former President, Virginia Chapter, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- Former Chair, Family Law Section, Virginia State Bar.
- Former Member, Bar Council, Virginia State Bar.
- Former Chair, Task Force on Judicial Functions, Commission on Virginia Courts in the 21st Century.
- Former Member, Virginia Committee on District Courts.
- Former Member, Judicial Council of Virginia.
- Vice Chair, Board of Trustees, Syracuse University.
- Listed as a “Top Lawyer” for Mediation in Washington DC, Washingtonian, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2020.
- Listed as “Legal Elite” in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Virginia Business, 2013 and 2015.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D.
- Syracuse University, B.A.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information