Hon. Joanne F. Alper (Ret.)
Areas of Experience
Personal injury, product liability, medical malpractice, professional liability, defamation, family law, contracts & general commercial disputes, construction, employment, real estate, and trusts & estates.
- Retired Judge, 17th Judicial Circuit Court, Arlington.
- Former Judge and Chief Judge, Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court, 17th Judicial District, Arlington.
- Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Former Partner, Associate and Law Clerk, Cohen, Gettings, Alper & Dunham.
- Past President, Arlington County Bar Association.
- Former Chair and current Board Member, Arlington County Bar Foundation.
- Former Member of the Steering Committee and former Chair of the Family Court Committee, Boyd-Graves Conference.
- Former President, Virginia Chapter, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- Former Chair, Family Law Section, Virginia State Bar.
- Former Member, Bar Council, Virginia State Bar.
- Former Chair, Task Force on Judicial Functions, Commission on Virginia Courts in the 21st Century.
- Former Member, Virginia Committee on District Courts.
- Former Member, Judicial Council of Virginia.
- Vice Chair, Board of Trustees, Syracuse University.
- Listed as a “Top Lawyer” for Mediation in Washington DC, Washingtonian, 2013, 2015, and 2017-2018.
- Listed as “Legal Elite” in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Virginia Business, 2013 and 2015.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D.
- Syracuse University, B.A.
Please contact us to inquire about availability.Request Information